BY JIM MUSTIAN
Advocate staff writer
July 28, 2013
An undercover East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff’s deputy was staking out Manchac Park about 10 a.m. one day this month when a slow-moving sedan pulling into the parking lot caught his attention. The deputy parked alongside the 65-year-old driver and, after denying being a cop, began a casual conversation that was electronically monitored by a backup team nearby.
As the two men moved their chat to a picnic table, the deputy propositioned his target with “some drinks and some fun” back at his place, later inquiring whether the man had any condoms, according to court records. After following the deputy to a nearby apartment, the man was handcuffed and booked into Parish Prison on a single count of attempted crime against nature.
There had been no sex-for-money deal between the two. The men did not agree to have sex in the park, a public place. And the count against the man was based on a part of Louisiana’s anti-sodomy law struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court a decade ago.
The July 18 arrest is among at least a dozen cases since 2011 in which a Sheriff’s Office task force used the unenforceable law to ensnare men who merely discussed or agreed to have consensual sex with an undercover agent, an investigation by The Advocate has found.
Read more: http://theadvocate.com/
- At Least Twelve Men Arrested Under Invalid Sodomy Law (houston.cbslocal.com)
- Louisiana Sheriff Refuses to Stop Enforcing Anti-Sodomy Law (advocate.com)
- Baton Rouge sheriff’s office targets gay men under unconstitutional ‘crimes against nature’ law (dailyqueernews.wordpress.com)
- At Least One State Is Still Enforcing Its Anti-Sodomy Law (theatlanticwire.com)
- La. city police arrested men under sodomy law (ktvb.com)
- La. city police arrested men under sodomy law (sandiego6.com)
- La. city police arrested men under sodomy law (kvue.com)
- Gay Man Arrested In Sting Operation In Baton Rouge Due To State’s Refusal To Repeal Ant (queerty.com)
- Baton Rouge Authorities Respond To Firestorm Over Arrests Of Gays On … – International Business Times (ibtimes.com)
- Louisiana Police Target, Arrest Gay Men (towleroad.com)