ALEXANDRIA, La. (AP) – A 39-year-old Deville man accused of killing a companion in 2007 and stuffing his body in a box has pleaded guilty to manslaughter. But a prosecutor and the defendant’s attorney must agree to a sentence or the case will go to trial in September.
The Town Talk reports Bobby Christopher Lucas is scheduled to be sentenced Sept. 10 by state District Judge Thomas Yeager. A manslaughter conviction carries a sentence of up to 40 years in prison.
Lucas originally was charged with second-degree murder of Kerry Anthony Lane, according to a 2011 grand jury indictment.
Rapides Parish Assistant District Attorney Thomas “Rocky” Willson said the September sentencing date could turn into a trial date on the murder charge if he and Lucas’ attorney, George Higgins, don’t reach a sentencing compromise.
“Right now we’re worlds apart,” Willson said.
Higgins said he’s confident both sides will reach an agreement.
“We have always thought this case was fairly defendable,” Higgins said. “We have tried to resolve the matter. … If we have to we will try this case.”
Lucas remains free on bond for now. A jury trial was to start this week, but Lucas pleaded guilty Thursday to a reduced charge of manslaughter.
Lucas was arrested in late October 2008 after a member of his family made the grisly discovery of Lane’s boxed body behind the house where Lucas and Lane lived. At the time his badly decomposed body was found, Lane had not been seen for more than a year.
- Moon Silk | #jWe | #Louisiana | #CenLa |
- Bids for Harambe-shaped Flamin’ Hot Cheeto Rose to Nearly $100G on eBay
- Tom Brady’s Jersey Found
- South Park to back off mocking Trump
- Happy New Year!
- #SwineFlu | #FakeNews | #Weee!
- Age of Mann: Huntin’ Stories | #Banished
- Poor Ping #Triggered Gwen | #Ping & #Gwen
- What is it Serious? | Magic #Christmas Tayter | #SeriousPickle
- Is the Alt-Right Dead? Mike Cernovich Interview | #PizzaGate | ‘#FakeNews’
- 9th Judicial District Court
- Alexandria City Court
- Alexandria Museum of Art
- Alexandria Pineville Area CVB
- Alexandria Police
- Alexandria Retrospective
- Alexandria Utilities
- Alexandria Zoological Park
- Cenla Focus
- City of Alexandria
- City of Pineville
- Department of Children & Family Services
- Electronic Frontier Foundation
- EPA Region 6 | CWPPRA
- Find a Senator or Representative
- Find your Louisiana Legislators
- Louisiana Rebel World
- Louisiana Travel
- Mayor's Office of Alexandria
- Mayor's Office of Pineville
- Office of the Governor
- Official Louisiana Hurricane Survival Guide
- Pineville City Court
- Pineville Police
- Pineville Utilities
- Rapides Parish Clerk of Court
- Rapides Parish Court House
- Rapides Parish Library
- Rapides Parish Map
- RAPIDES PARISH POLICE JURY
- Rapides Parish School Board
- Rapides Parish Sherriff's Office
- The Dead Pelican
- The Hayride