LAKE CHARLES, La. (AP) – A Ragley man convicted of murdering and raping a 4-year-old Moss Bluff girl has an execution date.
The American Press reports state District Judge Mike Canaday signed the order Wednesday for Jason Reeves to be executed by lethal injection on Aug. 15 for the Nov. 12, 2001, abduction, rape and murder of Mary Jean Thigpen.
Thigpen’s body was found two days later at LeBleu Cemetery off La. Highway 397.
Although it was in 2004 that Reeves was found guilty of capital murder, District Attorney John DeRosier said a date had not been set as Reeves appealed to the Louisiana Supreme Court and the United States Supreme Court, both of which upheld his conviction and sentence.
“This case warrants the death penalty,” DeRosier said. “This was a young, 4-year-old girl who was brutally assaulted and murdered and left out in LeBleu Cemetery.”
Louisiana has executed 28 people since the death penalty was reinstated in 1979, but only two in the past decade, according to the Death Penalty Information Center website.
- Moon Silk | #jWe | #Louisiana | #CenLa |
- Bids for Harambe-shaped Flamin’ Hot Cheeto Rose to Nearly $100G on eBay
- Tom Brady’s Jersey Found
- South Park to back off mocking Trump
- Happy New Year!
- #SwineFlu | #FakeNews | #Weee!
- Age of Mann: Huntin’ Stories | #Banished
- Poor Ping #Triggered Gwen | #Ping & #Gwen
- What is it Serious? | Magic #Christmas Tayter | #SeriousPickle
- Is the Alt-Right Dead? Mike Cernovich Interview | #PizzaGate | ‘#FakeNews’
- 9th Judicial District Court
- Alexandria City Court
- Alexandria Museum of Art
- Alexandria Pineville Area CVB
- Alexandria Police
- Alexandria Retrospective
- Alexandria Utilities
- Alexandria Zoological Park
- Cenla Focus
- City of Alexandria
- City of Pineville
- Department of Children & Family Services
- Electronic Frontier Foundation
- EPA Region 6 | CWPPRA
- Find a Senator or Representative
- Find your Louisiana Legislators
- Louisiana Rebel World
- Louisiana Travel
- Mayor's Office of Alexandria
- Mayor's Office of Pineville
- Office of the Governor
- Official Louisiana Hurricane Survival Guide
- Pineville City Court
- Pineville Police
- Pineville Utilities
- Rapides Parish Clerk of Court
- Rapides Parish Court House
- Rapides Parish Library
- Rapides Parish Map
- RAPIDES PARISH POLICE JURY
- Rapides Parish School Board
- Rapides Parish Sherriff's Office
- The Dead Pelican
- The Hayride