SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) -
The judge in the Christopher Cope trial declared a mistrial in the penalty phase when jurors informed the court that they remain deadlocked at 7-5. The decision means Cope will not face the death penalty.
Prosecutors sought the death penalty in a case in which a jury agreed that Cope gunned down Shreveport Police Sgt. Timothy Prunty back in October 2010. The jury’s guilty verdict came Tuesday.
Jurors began deliberations Thursday shortly after 4 p.m. and returned for the final time today at about 4:45 p.m. to declare no hope to resolve the deadlock.
The nephew of the slain sergeant, Matthew Prunty Jr., had some choice words to describe his reaction to the deadlocked jury.
“My family and I were sad and disgusted. What worse of a crime can you commit than killing a police officer? It’s a slap in the face to my uncle and to every other law enforcement officer out there for not giving the man death. It’s a disgrace.”
Asked about whether solace is possible given that Cope will never be free again, Matthew Prunty says, “No. No, I do not because his family and stuff will be able to see him in prison. … I’m not going to get to see my uncle ever, and his family will still get to see him.”
My Spooky Bird Feeder ;)
Beaming across the web from my place to your face.
- Anderson Cooper’s CIA Secret
- China plans nuclear submarines near US coast, miltary bases in South China Sea
- Kerry Clarifies: Islamic State not Islamic | #jWe | #Louisiana | #CenLa | #War |
- Hollywood’s military complex
- Devin Hester got a ridiculous penalty on his record-setting touchdown return
- ‘MTP’ Falls From First To Third In Chuck Todd’s Second Week
- CDC says crew members aboard a ship at Belle Chasse have malaria
- Ship with sick crewmen to dock in New Orleans tonight
- #Louisiana GOP now accepts Bitcoin
- David Fincher: ‘Studios Treat Audiences Like Cattle In a Stockyard’
- NBC No. 1 in Annual Ratings for First Time Since 2004
- ISIS sympathizers threaten Times Square on message board: report
- “Return of human spaceflight:” NASA to announce private space shuttle deal
- Labor Board Orders CNN to Rehire 100 Fired Employees
- Senate’s Secret Handbook Revealed | The Real Story | Gretchen Carlson |
- Fortune 5: The biggest organized crime groups in the world
- Unindicted co-conspirator in 1993 World Trade Centre bombing deported to Canada
- So it wasn’t sexism: Men’s cycling team kit is just as striking as the women’s
- Snowden: NSA Collected Data on New Zealand Citizens
- Foam monster engulfs River Lea in London, reaching heights of 10ft
Central Louisiana #CenLA
I have a pipe dream.
I dream that there were people who said, 'hey let’s crowd source and buy a TV station.'
We are deluged with the West Coast perspective, we get swamped with the East Coast perspective.
I want the South Coast perspective to be widely promoted.
I would like someone to open up a CNN/FOX type 24-Hour cable news netwrk, and give that South Coast perspective.
I would like to see it happen here in Central Louisiana. #CenLa