SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) -
The judge in the Christopher Cope trial declared a mistrial in the penalty phase when jurors informed the court that they remain deadlocked at 7-5. The decision means Cope will not face the death penalty.
Prosecutors sought the death penalty in a case in which a jury agreed that Cope gunned down Shreveport Police Sgt. Timothy Prunty back in October 2010. The jury’s guilty verdict came Tuesday.
Jurors began deliberations Thursday shortly after 4 p.m. and returned for the final time today at about 4:45 p.m. to declare no hope to resolve the deadlock.
The nephew of the slain sergeant, Matthew Prunty Jr., had some choice words to describe his reaction to the deadlocked jury.
“My family and I were sad and disgusted. What worse of a crime can you commit than killing a police officer? It’s a slap in the face to my uncle and to every other law enforcement officer out there for not giving the man death. It’s a disgrace.”
Asked about whether solace is possible given that Cope will never be free again, Matthew Prunty says, “No. No, I do not because his family and stuff will be able to see him in prison. … I’m not going to get to see my uncle ever, and his family will still get to see him.”
My Spooky Bird Feeder ;)
- Too Many Mice | #Louisiana | #CenLa | #jWe |
- What is the blue light from our screens really doing to our eyes?
- Boy born without a brain lives to be 12 years old, dies peacefully
- Amazon Is Reportedly Bringing Back ‘The Tick’ With Patrick Warburton
- More Ferguson police off the force
- Erm…Snoop Dogg has been going around as a white man called Todd
- SCAM WARNING: IRS says DO NOT answer if this number is calling you
- Two men brawl on bus in shocking video captured on smartphone
- When does giving the reader what they want turn into clickbait? It’s complicated
- CNN Reporter Posts Video of Her Layoff
- 9 Years Ago: The Sky Before Katrina Struck | 08-29-2005 | #Louisiana | #Mississippi | #Alabama |
- Journal Retracts Paper that Questioned CDC Autism Study
- World War II Erupts: Color Photos From the Invasion of Poland, 1939
- LA State Troopers staying put for now
- Art Directors Guild Expands Voting, Lifetime Achievement Awards
- Photo: Oklahomans find Jesus in sky while saying goodbye to landmark
- Texas Brewery Invents a 99-Pack of Beer
- Swearing ice bucket challenge toddler apologises for bad language after being unmasked
- UPDATE | Mother makes impassioned plea for return of son in Amber Alert case
- Bus Riders | #jWe | #Louisiana | #CenLa |
Central Louisiana #CenLA
I have a pipe dream.
I dream that there were people who said, 'hey let’s crowd source and buy a TV station.'
We are deluged with the West Coast perspective, we get swamped with the East Coast perspective.
I want the South Coast perspective to be widely promoted.
I would like someone to open up a CNN/FOX type 24-Hour cable news netwrk, and give that South Coast perspective.
I would like to see it happen here in Central Louisiana. #CenLa