SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) -
The judge in the Christopher Cope trial declared a mistrial in the penalty phase when jurors informed the court that they remain deadlocked at 7-5. The decision means Cope will not face the death penalty.
Prosecutors sought the death penalty in a case in which a jury agreed that Cope gunned down Shreveport Police Sgt. Timothy Prunty back in October 2010. The jury’s guilty verdict came Tuesday.
Jurors began deliberations Thursday shortly after 4 p.m. and returned for the final time today at about 4:45 p.m. to declare no hope to resolve the deadlock.
The nephew of the slain sergeant, Matthew Prunty Jr., had some choice words to describe his reaction to the deadlocked jury.
“My family and I were sad and disgusted. What worse of a crime can you commit than killing a police officer? It’s a slap in the face to my uncle and to every other law enforcement officer out there for not giving the man death. It’s a disgrace.”
Asked about whether solace is possible given that Cope will never be free again, Matthew Prunty says, “No. No, I do not because his family and stuff will be able to see him in prison. … I’m not going to get to see my uncle ever, and his family will still get to see him.”
- Coastal Flood Advisory issued November 22 at 3:15AM CST until November 23 at 6:00AM CST by NWS November 22, 2014...MINOR TIDAL FLOODING EXPECTED TONIGHT INTO EARLY SUNDAY... .INCREASING SOUTHEAST TO SOUTH WINDS WILL CONTINUE OVER THE COASTAL WATERS TODAY INTO SUNDAY IN RESPONSE TO A VIGOROUS STORM SYSTEM ADVANCING EAST OVER THE SOUTHERN PLAINS. THE INCREASING SOUTHERLY WINDS WILL BRING WATER LEVELS 1 TO 2 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TODAY THROUGH EARLY SUNDAY ACROSS THE COASTAL […]
- Coastal Flood Advisory issued November 22 at 3:15AM CST until November 23 at 6:00AM CST by NWS November 22, 2014
Central Louisiana #CenLA
- Obama forgets his phone, runs back into the White House to get it
- Police shoot man with gun at Louisiana college
- New Orleans man arrested on 31 counts of child pornography
- Obama Immigration Speech: CBS, Fox, NBC & ABC Not Airing
- ‘Come Home, Louisiana’ campaign connects natives to local careers
- Christopher Nolan wrote an ‘Interstellar’ comic about a certain spoiler’s backstory
- All about the new songs in ‘Peter Pan Live!’ — and how the show’s handling ‘Ugg-a-Wugg’
- Rapides Parish Schools Closed November 24 – 28 | 2014 #Thanksgiving | #Louisiana |
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Ratings Thrash ‘Sunday Night Football’ For Third Week In A Row
- Louisiana Senator One Vote Short on Keystone Pipeline Bill
- People Trust Social Media Less Than Any Other Form of Communication
- This strange-looking ‘Impossible’ electric bike can be easily folded into a backpack
- Ghostly Sensations Created by Scientists in Lab Experiment
- Twitter was not happy with Lifetime’s Aaliyah biopic
- Facebook Page Pulled After Man Sues San Diego Sheriff’s Department
- Hollywood Sex Abuse Doc ‘Not Likely’ to Get Distribution, Says Director
- Why are there no birds at your birdfeeder in Glenmora, #Louisiana?
- Performance Artist Searches for an Actual Needle in an Actual Haystack
- Dismal ratings for the Hollywood Film Awards
- Watch Johnny Depp’s Bizarre Speech at the Hollywood Awards
- Mary Landrieu Talks to TIME About the Fight of Her Political Life
- Scientists Discover Why Mosquitos Love Human Blood
- ‘Bama team docs help save life of LSU policeman
- Rokerthon: Attempt for the longest weather forecast
- A popular currency trading website vanished overnight and $1-billion of investors money disappeared with it
- Man goes to vote and told he’s listed dead
- DreamWorks Animation Stocks Surge Over Possible Hasbro Merger
- Buffett snaps up Duracell from P&G
- ‘Duck Dynasty’ Las Vegas Musical in the Works
- See the Rosetta Spacecraft’s Best Photos of Comet 67P
- Bill Cassidy to get energy committee post if he wins Senate race
- Boston Marathon survivor has leg amputated
- The new Ford F-150 starts rolling off the line
- ‘Stepped right into that propeller’: Sen. Mary Landrieu’s #WhereWasBill tweet backfires
- It’s Now Possible for One Person’s Brain to Control Another Person’s Movements
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ has a title: ‘The Force Awakens’
- Man to be eaten alive by anaconda in Discovery special
- Hitler Sightings In Berlin? Constantin Trots Out Look-Alike For ‘Borat’-Esque ‘Look Who’s Back’
- Racist graffiti reported at Louisiana high school
- Joni Ernst Wins Election, First Woman to Represent Iowa in US Senate
I have a pipe dream.
I dream that there were people who said, 'hey let’s crowd source and buy a TV station.'
We are deluged with the West Coast perspective, we get swamped with the East Coast perspective.
I want the South Coast perspective to be widely promoted.
I would like someone to open up a CNN/FOX type 24-Hour cable news netwrk, and give that South Coast perspective.
I would like to see it happen here in Central Louisiana. #CenLa
Buy my merch, or else don't.
I MADE THIS FOR ME!