SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) -
The judge in the Christopher Cope trial declared a mistrial in the penalty phase when jurors informed the court that they remain deadlocked at 7-5. The decision means Cope will not face the death penalty.
Prosecutors sought the death penalty in a case in which a jury agreed that Cope gunned down Shreveport Police Sgt. Timothy Prunty back in October 2010. The jury’s guilty verdict came Tuesday.
Jurors began deliberations Thursday shortly after 4 p.m. and returned for the final time today at about 4:45 p.m. to declare no hope to resolve the deadlock.
The nephew of the slain sergeant, Matthew Prunty Jr., had some choice words to describe his reaction to the deadlocked jury.
“My family and I were sad and disgusted. What worse of a crime can you commit than killing a police officer? It’s a slap in the face to my uncle and to every other law enforcement officer out there for not giving the man death. It’s a disgrace.”
Asked about whether solace is possible given that Cope will never be free again, Matthew Prunty says, “No. No, I do not because his family and stuff will be able to see him in prison. … I’m not going to get to see my uncle ever, and his family will still get to see him.”
- Be patient while I charge up the news. When the logo is spinning smoothly, blast off.
Fully Charged News
- As the War in Gaza Grows, Only Ruins May Be Left July 29, 2014
- Martha Stewart: Why I Love My Drone July 29, 2014
- Delay Action on Climate Change by 10 Years and Costs Rocket 40%: Report July 29, 2014
- Sarah Palin Launches Her Own TV Channel Online July 27, 2014
- Wonder Woman: First Look At Sexy Superhero Revealed July 26, 2014
- Congressman Mistakes U.S. Officials For Indian Ones July 25, 2014
- One-of-a-Kind Cigarette Butt Recycling Program Begins in New Orleans July 23, 2014
- Ever wondered what’s inside a black box flight recorder? July 21, 2014
- Sky News apologises over reporter going through MH17 victim’s luggage at crash site July 20, 2014
- NASA to Mark 45th Anniversary of First Moon Landing With Re-Broadcast Sunday Night July 20, 2014
- FBI: Scams Aimed At Relatives Of Child Immigrants July 20, 2014
- I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! It’s National Ice Cream Day!!! July 20, 2014
- New Orleans Bicycle Nation Blocks Intersection, Protests for Safety Upgrades July 19, 2014
- Who Lies Where? Hundreds Buried Beneath St. Louis Cathedral July 18, 2014
- Police: Man Tries To Pull Pizza Prank From Jail Cell July 17, 2014
- A Common Cholesterol Drug’s Safety Is In Question July 17, 2014
- The Border and Obama July 17, 2014
- ‘Seinfeld’ lost episode: Cast rejected gun plot July 16, 2014
- So you’ve been fired from ‘SNL': Here’s what to do next July 15, 2014
- Octomom Pleads No Contest To Welfare Fraud Charge July 14, 2014