SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) -
The judge in the Christopher Cope trial declared a mistrial in the penalty phase when jurors informed the court that they remain deadlocked at 7-5. The decision means Cope will not face the death penalty.
Prosecutors sought the death penalty in a case in which a jury agreed that Cope gunned down Shreveport Police Sgt. Timothy Prunty back in October 2010. The jury’s guilty verdict came Tuesday.
Jurors began deliberations Thursday shortly after 4 p.m. and returned for the final time today at about 4:45 p.m. to declare no hope to resolve the deadlock.
The nephew of the slain sergeant, Matthew Prunty Jr., had some choice words to describe his reaction to the deadlocked jury.
“My family and I were sad and disgusted. What worse of a crime can you commit than killing a police officer? It’s a slap in the face to my uncle and to every other law enforcement officer out there for not giving the man death. It’s a disgrace.”
Asked about whether solace is possible given that Cope will never be free again, Matthew Prunty says, “No. No, I do not because his family and stuff will be able to see him in prison. … I’m not going to get to see my uncle ever, and his family will still get to see him.”
My Spooky Bird Feeder ;)
Beaming across the web from my place to your face.
- Tuesday | #LinkList | #Louisiana | 20140930
- TV Academy’s Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen From Hall Of Fame Plaza
- Alabama high school says NSA was monitoring students on social media
- Louisiana Restaurant Owner Gives a Discount to Gun Owners
- Rape Victims in Louisiana Are Being Charged for Hospital Exams
- Camille Paglia: The Modern Campus Cannot Comprehend Evil
- Monday | #LinkList | #Louisiana | 20140929
- Officer arrested in prostitution sting to receive $10,000 a month on paid leave
- Audio surfaces of NC Congressman Robert Pittenger’s controversial comments on sexual orientation
- Beam me up: 5 classic Jim Traficant quotes
- White House preparing a directive forcing domestic agencies to disclose drone usage
- ‘Horned’ man convicted of murders yells, ‘I’ll see you all in hell’
- Friday | #LinkList | #Louisiana | 20140926
- Thursday | #LinkList | #Louisiana | 20140925
- Fall Means? | #jWe | #CenLa | #Louisiana
- Grandmother who once despised profanity can’t stop swearing following a stroke
- Wednesday | #LinkList | #Louisiana | 20140924
- The Secret Service Thinks We Are Fools
- Video shows Mexican drug lord paying journalists for ‘good press’
- This Robot Tastes Better Than A Wine Critic
Central Louisiana #CenLA
I have a pipe dream.
I dream that there were people who said, 'hey let’s crowd source and buy a TV station.'
We are deluged with the West Coast perspective, we get swamped with the East Coast perspective.
I want the South Coast perspective to be widely promoted.
I would like someone to open up a CNN/FOX type 24-Hour cable news netwrk, and give that South Coast perspective.
I would like to see it happen here in Central Louisiana. #CenLa