NEW ORLEANS — Is the government building a case against former Mayor Ray Nagin?
Eyewitness News has uncovered new signs of a possible investigation that include a delay in the sentencing of Greg Meffert, Nagin’s former tech chief who was convicted on corruption charges.
A year and a half ago, Meffert pleaded guilty in federal court to those charges and was supposed to be sentenced on Thursday. However, Meffert’s attorney confirms that is no longer the case.
“I don’t know what’s going to be the final date but it’s definitely not going on tomorrow,” said Randy Smith during a telephone interview. Smith is the attorney representing Meffert.
The charges against Meffert stem from his position as the city’s chief technology officer under then-Mayor Ray Nagin.
A Times-Picayune report back in February claimed Nagin received possible gratuities like trips to Hawaii and Jamaica — all in exchange for city contracts.
- Unexpected Teleconnections in Noctilucent Clouds O_o April 16, 2014
- Inside Politics: Landrieu’s Double #FauxPas | #Louisiana #HollywoodSouth April 16, 2014
- State of Surveillance: Police, Privacy and Technology April 12, 2014
- Little Girl With Rare Disorder Walks, Runs for First Time In Inspiring Video April 10, 2014
- #TheWarOnEverything #TWOE is us, and #twoe IS us. April 10, 2014
- Limbaugh on Colbert: ‘Assault on traditional American values’ April 10, 2014
- ‘Jesus Wife’ Fragment Holds Questions for Christians April 10, 2014
- Mars to Give Earthlings an Eyeful — Don’t Miss the Show! April 9, 2014
- Hurricane Katrina Victim Haunting New Orleans Burger Joint? April 9, 2014
- GOP Rep To Run For Re-Election Despite Video Showing Him Kissing Staffer April 8, 2014
- Good Manners on Death Row: Why Condemned Southerners Are More Polite April 8, 2014
- ‘Battlestar Galactica’ Movie Gets New Life at Universal (EXCLUSIVE) April 7, 2014
- Woman complains to police about marijuana quality April 7, 2014
- O_o Drunk Sakura Watcher In Tokyo 2014 o_O April 6, 2014
- Exclusive Details: Viral Arrest Video Raises Questions April 4, 2014
- What do you get if you cross a sheep and a goat? A geep, of course April 4, 2014
- Indiana man’s Facebook posts lead to arrest for making, selling alcohol April 4, 2014
- Yellowstone Fighting Online Supervolcano Rumors April 4, 2014
- Video: New Bethany Home for Girls: Women allege childhood sex abuse April 3, 2014
- Teen who sued parents gets $56K scholarship April 2, 2014