NEW ORLEANS — Is the government building a case against former Mayor Ray Nagin?
Eyewitness News has uncovered new signs of a possible investigation that include a delay in the sentencing of Greg Meffert, Nagin’s former tech chief who was convicted on corruption charges.
A year and a half ago, Meffert pleaded guilty in federal court to those charges and was supposed to be sentenced on Thursday. However, Meffert’s attorney confirms that is no longer the case.
“I don’t know what’s going to be the final date but it’s definitely not going on tomorrow,” said Randy Smith during a telephone interview. Smith is the attorney representing Meffert.
The charges against Meffert stem from his position as the city’s chief technology officer under then-Mayor Ray Nagin.
A Times-Picayune report back in February claimed Nagin received possible gratuities like trips to Hawaii and Jamaica — all in exchange for city contracts.
- Be patient while I charge up the news. When the logo is spinning smoothly, blast off.
Fully Charged News
- Sarah Palin Launches Her Own TV Channel Online July 27, 2014
- Wonder Woman: First Look At Sexy Superhero Revealed July 26, 2014
- Congressman Mistakes U.S. Officials For Indian Ones July 25, 2014
- One-of-a-Kind Cigarette Butt Recycling Program Begins in New Orleans July 23, 2014
- Ever wondered what’s inside a black box flight recorder? July 21, 2014
- Sky News apologises over reporter going through MH17 victim’s luggage at crash site July 20, 2014
- NASA to Mark 45th Anniversary of First Moon Landing With Re-Broadcast Sunday Night July 20, 2014
- FBI: Scams Aimed At Relatives Of Child Immigrants July 20, 2014
- I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! It’s National Ice Cream Day!!! July 20, 2014
- New Orleans Bicycle Nation Blocks Intersection, Protests for Safety Upgrades July 19, 2014
- Who Lies Where? Hundreds Buried Beneath St. Louis Cathedral July 18, 2014
- Police: Man Tries To Pull Pizza Prank From Jail Cell July 17, 2014
- A Common Cholesterol Drug’s Safety Is In Question July 17, 2014
- The Border and Obama July 17, 2014
- ‘Seinfeld’ lost episode: Cast rejected gun plot July 16, 2014
- So you’ve been fired from ‘SNL': Here’s what to do next July 15, 2014
- Octomom Pleads No Contest To Welfare Fraud Charge July 14, 2014
- Five years after walking away from unit and being kidnapped by Taliban, Bowe Bergdahl returns to regular duty July 14, 2014
- F-35 a No-Show (So Far) at Big Air Show July 14, 2014
- Generous retirement benefit boost slipped into bill for State Police Col. Mike Edmonson on last day of legislative session July 13, 2014