NEW ORLEANS — Is the government building a case against former Mayor Ray Nagin?
Eyewitness News has uncovered new signs of a possible investigation that include a delay in the sentencing of Greg Meffert, Nagin’s former tech chief who was convicted on corruption charges.
A year and a half ago, Meffert pleaded guilty in federal court to those charges and was supposed to be sentenced on Thursday. However, Meffert’s attorney confirms that is no longer the case.
“I don’t know what’s going to be the final date but it’s definitely not going on tomorrow,” said Randy Smith during a telephone interview. Smith is the attorney representing Meffert.
The charges against Meffert stem from his position as the city’s chief technology officer under then-Mayor Ray Nagin.
A Times-Picayune report back in February claimed Nagin received possible gratuities like trips to Hawaii and Jamaica — all in exchange for city contracts.
Alex River Fete 2014
- New evidence presented in Jaren Lockhart murder case | #Louisiana April 22, 2014
- Yes, It’s Illegal for a Captain to Abandon Ship in South Korea April 22, 2014
- Alleged Ghost at Oklahoma City Hotel Has NBA Players Running Scared April 22, 2014
- Is powdered alcohol a thing of our future? April 21, 2014
- How To Research Political Groups Who Want Your Money & Personal Info April 21, 2014
- Why You Should Care About Legalizing Marijuana Even If You Don’t Smoke Pot April 20, 2014
- Two senators face off over rancher April 18, 2014
- Unexpected Teleconnections in Noctilucent Clouds O_o April 16, 2014
- Inside Politics: Landrieu’s Double #FauxPas | #Louisiana #HollywoodSouth April 16, 2014
- State of Surveillance: Police, Privacy and Technology April 12, 2014
- Little Girl With Rare Disorder Walks, Runs for First Time In Inspiring Video April 10, 2014
- #TheWarOnEverything #TWOE is us, and #twoe IS us. April 10, 2014
- Limbaugh on Colbert: ‘Assault on traditional American values’ April 10, 2014
- ‘Jesus Wife’ Fragment Holds Questions for Christians April 10, 2014
- Mars to Give Earthlings an Eyeful — Don’t Miss the Show! April 9, 2014
- Hurricane Katrina Victim Haunting New Orleans Burger Joint? April 9, 2014
- GOP Rep To Run For Re-Election Despite Video Showing Him Kissing Staffer April 8, 2014
- Good Manners on Death Row: Why Condemned Southerners Are More Polite April 8, 2014
- ‘Battlestar Galactica’ Movie Gets New Life at Universal (EXCLUSIVE) April 7, 2014
- Woman complains to police about marijuana quality April 7, 2014