Sometimes, capturing a Taliban commander requires vast resources and complex operations. Last week in eastern Afghanistan, it hinged on an insurgent’s “improbable stupidity,” as one U.S. official put it.
Mohammad Ashan, a mid-level Taliban commander in Paktika province, strolled toward a police checkpoint in the district of Sar Howza with a wanted poster bearing his own face. He demanded the finder’s fee referenced on the poster: $100.
A biometric scan confirmed that the man in Afghan custody was the insurgent they had been looking for.
“Clearly,” one U.S. official said, “the man is an imbecile.”
- Be patient while I charge up the news. When the logo is spinning smoothly, blast off.
Fully Charged News
- As the War in Gaza Grows, Only Ruins May Be Left July 29, 2014
- Martha Stewart: Why I Love My Drone July 29, 2014
- Delay Action on Climate Change by 10 Years and Costs Rocket 40%: Report July 29, 2014
- Sarah Palin Launches Her Own TV Channel Online July 27, 2014
- Wonder Woman: First Look At Sexy Superhero Revealed July 26, 2014
- Congressman Mistakes U.S. Officials For Indian Ones July 25, 2014
- One-of-a-Kind Cigarette Butt Recycling Program Begins in New Orleans July 23, 2014
- Ever wondered what’s inside a black box flight recorder? July 21, 2014
- Sky News apologises over reporter going through MH17 victim’s luggage at crash site July 20, 2014
- NASA to Mark 45th Anniversary of First Moon Landing With Re-Broadcast Sunday Night July 20, 2014
- FBI: Scams Aimed At Relatives Of Child Immigrants July 20, 2014
- I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! It’s National Ice Cream Day!!! July 20, 2014
- New Orleans Bicycle Nation Blocks Intersection, Protests for Safety Upgrades July 19, 2014
- Who Lies Where? Hundreds Buried Beneath St. Louis Cathedral July 18, 2014
- Police: Man Tries To Pull Pizza Prank From Jail Cell July 17, 2014
- A Common Cholesterol Drug’s Safety Is In Question July 17, 2014
- The Border and Obama July 17, 2014
- ‘Seinfeld’ lost episode: Cast rejected gun plot July 16, 2014
- So you’ve been fired from ‘SNL': Here’s what to do next July 15, 2014
- Octomom Pleads No Contest To Welfare Fraud Charge July 14, 2014