SAN ANTONIO — Three years ago he was merely a face in a very large crowd, standing outside the Alamo on Tax Day as Glenn Beck spoke of drawing a line in the sand.
A businessman, husband, father of five and grandfather of 14, Bruce Baillio bought a miniature “Don’t Tread on Me” flag and watched, a little sheepishly and mostly silently, as a movement was born before his eyes. Like most of America, he didn’t know then what the tea party was.
Today, he is part of what it is morphing into.
Twice a month at the Jim’s Restaurant not far from his home sets an American flag on a Formica table and leads his neighborhood tea party group — one of 23 in the San Antonio area — in a discussion. They talk about the Obama administration’s policies regarding insurance for birth control, about how to become a delegate to the conventions that help determine the Texas GOP’s leaders and platform.
In this, the first presidential campaign since the dawn of the movement, no single contender has been christened the “tea party candidate.” And what was once the boisterous focus of American politics is now the butt of Internet insult: “Ding Dong — the Tea Party is dead!” wrote one blogger.
Dead the tea party is not. Changed? Perhaps. But still very much alive, in the back room of a Jim’s Restaurant in San Antonio and many other places across the land.
- Two senators face off over rancher April 18, 2014
- Unexpected Teleconnections in Noctilucent Clouds O_o April 16, 2014
- Inside Politics: Landrieu’s Double #FauxPas | #Louisiana #HollywoodSouth April 16, 2014
- State of Surveillance: Police, Privacy and Technology April 12, 2014
- Little Girl With Rare Disorder Walks, Runs for First Time In Inspiring Video April 10, 2014
- #TheWarOnEverything #TWOE is us, and #twoe IS us. April 10, 2014
- Limbaugh on Colbert: ‘Assault on traditional American values’ April 10, 2014
- ‘Jesus Wife’ Fragment Holds Questions for Christians April 10, 2014
- Mars to Give Earthlings an Eyeful — Don’t Miss the Show! April 9, 2014
- Hurricane Katrina Victim Haunting New Orleans Burger Joint? April 9, 2014
- GOP Rep To Run For Re-Election Despite Video Showing Him Kissing Staffer April 8, 2014
- Good Manners on Death Row: Why Condemned Southerners Are More Polite April 8, 2014
- ‘Battlestar Galactica’ Movie Gets New Life at Universal (EXCLUSIVE) April 7, 2014
- Woman complains to police about marijuana quality April 7, 2014
- O_o Drunk Sakura Watcher In Tokyo 2014 o_O April 6, 2014
- Exclusive Details: Viral Arrest Video Raises Questions April 4, 2014
- What do you get if you cross a sheep and a goat? A geep, of course April 4, 2014
- Indiana man’s Facebook posts lead to arrest for making, selling alcohol April 4, 2014
- Yellowstone Fighting Online Supervolcano Rumors April 4, 2014
- Video: New Bethany Home for Girls: Women allege childhood sex abuse April 3, 2014