SAN ANTONIO — Three years ago he was merely a face in a very large crowd, standing outside the Alamo on Tax Day as Glenn Beck spoke of drawing a line in the sand.
A businessman, husband, father of five and grandfather of 14, Bruce Baillio bought a miniature “Don’t Tread on Me” flag and watched, a little sheepishly and mostly silently, as a movement was born before his eyes. Like most of America, he didn’t know then what the tea party was.
Today, he is part of what it is morphing into.
Twice a month at the Jim’s Restaurant not far from his home sets an American flag on a Formica table and leads his neighborhood tea party group — one of 23 in the San Antonio area — in a discussion. They talk about the Obama administration’s policies regarding insurance for birth control, about how to become a delegate to the conventions that help determine the Texas GOP’s leaders and platform.
In this, the first presidential campaign since the dawn of the movement, no single contender has been christened the “tea party candidate.” And what was once the boisterous focus of American politics is now the butt of Internet insult: “Ding Dong — the Tea Party is dead!” wrote one blogger.
Dead the tea party is not. Changed? Perhaps. But still very much alive, in the back room of a Jim’s Restaurant in San Antonio and many other places across the land.
- Moon Silk | #jWe | #Louisiana | #CenLa |
- Get out. – #CatInTheTub
- Are you prepared for the Mardi Gras Mantis? – #Louisiana #Cenla
- Listen Up
- Have some birds. – #Louisiana #Cenla
- #Sweet #Louisiana: Car hungry for #KingCake, smashes up bakery – creates personal drive-thru – #KingCakes in Oven of Concern – More #KingCakes on the way – How many more can we handle?
- President Obama makes first Baton Rouge visit – #Louisiana #Rosy
- Wale The First Rapper To Open The State Of The Union Address
- 2015 in review
- Police officer wrecks patrol car after Owl insists on #Christmas Eve ride | #Louisiana
- The Pig that saved Black Friday – #jWe #Since5MinutesAgo
- 9th Judicial District Court
- Alexandria City Court
- Alexandria Museum of Art
- Alexandria Pineville Area CVB
- Alexandria Police
- Alexandria Retrospective
- Alexandria Utilities
- Alexandria Zoological Park
- Cenla Focus
- City of Alexandria
- City of Pineville
- Department of Children & Family Services
- Electronic Frontier Foundation
- EPA Region 6 | CWPPRA
- Find a Senator or Representative
- Find your Louisiana Legislators
- Louisiana Rebel World
- Louisiana Travel
- Mayor's Office of Alexandria
- Mayor's Office of Pineville
- Office of the Governor
- Official Louisiana Hurricane Survival Guide
- Pineville City Court
- Pineville Police
- Pineville Utilities
- Rapides Parish Clerk of Court
- Rapides Parish Court House
- Rapides Parish Library
- Rapides Parish Map
- RAPIDES PARISH POLICE JURY
- Rapides Parish School Board
- Rapides Parish Sherriff's Office
- The Dead Pelican
- The Hayride