Mayor Mitch Landrieu never made direct reference to the touchy subject of the New Orleans City Council’s white majority Thursday as he endorsed former Councilwoman Cynthia Willard-Lewis in the April 21 runoff to fill an at-large seat on the city’s legislative panel. But it was clear by what he did say that the thorny issue of race was a key factor in his decision to choose Willard-Lewis, who is black, over her white opponent, Councilwoman Stacy Head.
“I need someone who’s going to be a partner with me to represent all of the people of the city of New Orleans,” Landrieu said to a cheering crowd of more than 100 gathered at the New Orleans Healing Center on St. Claude Avenue.
As a white mayor of a city that is 60 percent black, Landrieu has to walk a fine line in matters of race.
My Spooky Bird Feeder ;)
Beaming across the web from my place to your face.
- Tuesday | #LinkList | #Louisiana | 20140930
- TV Academy’s Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen From Hall Of Fame Plaza
- Alabama high school says NSA was monitoring students on social media
- Louisiana Restaurant Owner Gives a Discount to Gun Owners
- Rape Victims in Louisiana Are Being Charged for Hospital Exams
- Camille Paglia: The Modern Campus Cannot Comprehend Evil
- Monday | #LinkList | #Louisiana | 20140929
- Officer arrested in prostitution sting to receive $10,000 a month on paid leave
- Audio surfaces of NC Congressman Robert Pittenger’s controversial comments on sexual orientation
- Beam me up: 5 classic Jim Traficant quotes
- White House preparing a directive forcing domestic agencies to disclose drone usage
- ‘Horned’ man convicted of murders yells, ‘I’ll see you all in hell’
- Friday | #LinkList | #Louisiana | 20140926
- Thursday | #LinkList | #Louisiana | 20140925
- Fall Means? | #jWe | #CenLa | #Louisiana
- Grandmother who once despised profanity can’t stop swearing following a stroke
- Wednesday | #LinkList | #Louisiana | 20140924
- The Secret Service Thinks We Are Fools
- Video shows Mexican drug lord paying journalists for ‘good press’
- This Robot Tastes Better Than A Wine Critic
Central Louisiana #CenLA
I have a pipe dream.
I dream that there were people who said, 'hey let’s crowd source and buy a TV station.'
We are deluged with the West Coast perspective, we get swamped with the East Coast perspective.
I want the South Coast perspective to be widely promoted.
I would like someone to open up a CNN/FOX type 24-Hour cable news netwrk, and give that South Coast perspective.
I would like to see it happen here in Central Louisiana. #CenLa